Monday, June 15, 2015

The General Public's Ice Cubes are Bogus

It has been a little over a month since my last post, I realize this.  I was working on a riveting homemade soup review when the universe threw me one of its biggest curve balls yet.  My mother-in-law passed very suddenly, and thus a whirlwind of things very un-soup related ensued.

As part of the memorial service, my husband and I received a potted phalaenopsis orchid.  That's what this post is about.  Don't scroll away just yet.  I'm not a gardening buff, either.

I have a habit of boasting my crafts and projects all over cyberspace, specifically through my "Creations" album on Facebook and my "Gillynze Says" board on Pinterest.  However, I've never been one to have a green thumb.  I was apprehensive about this orchid, as they are notoriously difficult to care for.  My mother loves orchids, and could not sustain hers despite her best efforts.  I settled the orchid in our kitchen and set about administering a regimen of 2 ice cubes a week like I had been told.

First I noticed two flower blooms had fallen.

Then three more.

Crap.

Time to do some homework.

I googled orchid care.  Of course there are thousands of species of orchids.  Of course.  I figured that mine would be a fairly common variety, and tried to find a similar picture.  Once I found what I thought I might be looking for, I read website after website and watched several YouTube videos.  Oh the things you can learn from the Internet.


  • Ice Cubes Bad!: There are some orchids that can thrive via this method, but I didn't find a single legit website that used it.  The suggested method is to flood the orchid with tepid tap water for several minutes, and then to let it drain completely.  Watering is usually needed every 7-10 days.
  • Wrong Pot: My orchid came in a basic white ceramic pot.  The ideal media is a clear, plastic pot with several draining ports.  Not being able to find this, I opted for a ceramic pot with a large draining hole in the bottom.  The draining is the important part; orchids are susceptible to root rot.
  • Roots: They should be green in color and fleshy in texture.  They will grow stiffer and silver in color when they are thirsty.  Isn't that nifty?  They let you know when they need a drink!  But when they are crunchy and papery, that part of the root is dead.
  • Leaves: You shouldn't leave standing water on the leaves, as this too will cause rot.  Like the roots, the color of the leaves will tell you whether they are getting enough sun.  Talkative little plant, this orchid!
I also read up on their need for fertilizer, how to cut orchid spikes and encourage regrowth, and the type of material they should be potted in.  So I went to the garden center, bought some supplies, and got to work.

Once I repotted the orchid, I could see the poor little roots.  They were rigid and silver.  Ice cubes were just not cutting it.  I flooded it, drained it, and set it in the window for a few hours.  When I came back, the roots were already green!!!  I pruned off some dead ends from the roots, and now she's sitting pretty!
I so wish I had a "before" picture.  You'd be stunned.  Guess you'll just have to trust me on this one, lol.

So what?

So I've never rehabbed a plant in my life.  With a little research, I fixed up my pretty little phalaenopsis orchid!  Good things happen when you put nerd powers to use.

Also, the idea that we shouldn't follow blindly to what everyone else says feels reinforced by this project.  It has generally been my experience that people are unreliable, especially when it is the "general public."  Coming from me, that is phrasing it kindly.  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment